A liquid level sensor is an instrument for measuring the height of a liquid and converting it to an electrical signal which is sent to other instrumentation to display, monitor, log or control the liquid level.
There are many different types of technology use to measure liquid level, there are sensors that can be mounted above the liquid such as ultrasonic or radar which bounce a sound or electromagnetic wave off the surface of the liquid and use the travel time to determine the distance from the liquid surface.
For liquid filled tanks there are sensors which can be attached externally, such as floats running up and down a liquid filled tube connected at the bottom of the tank, or a pressure sensor installed in a hole in the bottom of the tank which measures the pressure generated by gravity acting on the liquid.
Another method is to lower a probe into the tank and immerse it in the liquid such as a capacitive probe which detects the changing capacitance charge as the length of the probe is exposed to varying proportions of liquid and air, or pressure sensors which measure the pressure generated by gravity acting on the surrounding liquid.
- Hydrostatic Level Sensors - Hydrostatic pressure sensing devices for measuring liquid level and converting it to an electrical signal to send to other instrumentation.
- ATEX Approved Liquid Level Sensors for Hazardous Areas - European hazardous area ATEX approved sensors for liquid level measurement in intrinsically safe installations on petrochemical, pharmaceutical, landfill and sewage treatment sites.
- Water Level Transmitters with 4-20mA Output - 4 to 20 mA current loop output water level transmitters with a for use with process instrumentation for measuring the level of water in a water well, water reservoir, river or water storage tank.
- Submersible Hydrostatic Level Sensors & Probes - Level sensors for submerging permanently in liquid to determine the level or depth of fluid by measuring the hydrostatic pressure.
- 4-20mA Output Hydrostatic Level Transmitters & Sensors - Liquid level transmitters with a 4 to 20 milliamp current loop output signal for determining liquid depth or the fluid level by measuring the hydrostatic pressure.
- Diesel Fuel Tank Level Sensors - Diesel fuel oil storage tank device for measuring diesel fuel level and converting it to an electrical signal to send to other instrumentation.
- Detachable Cable Submersible Liquid Level Sensor Probes - Sensor probes with removable submersible signal cable for measuring liquid level. These sensor probes can be easily replaced without the need to remove the installed cable assembly or break connections to cable junction boxes and termination enclosures.
- Marine Approved Submersible Liquid Level Sensors - Marine approval certification for use on ships. Protected from liquid ingress when completely immersed in a fluid. Device for measuring liquid level and converting it to an electrical signal to send to other instrumentation.
- External Mounted Tank Level Sensors
- Waste Water Level Sensors
- Sea, Brackish or Salt Water Submersible IP68 Depth & Level Sensors
- Low Range, Shallow Depth Liquid Level Sensors
- Submersible Liquid Level Sensors
- Landfill Site Submersible Leachate Level Transmitters
- Submersible Leachate Level Transmitters
- Landfill Site Leachate Level Transmitters
- Submersible Diesel Tank Level Sensors
- Digital Submersible Liquid Level Sensors
- HART® Liquid Level Transmitters
- 0-10 Volts Output Hydrostatic Sensors, Probes & Transducers
- Chemical Resistant Hydrostatic Liquid Level & Pressure Sensors
- Marine Approved Liquid Level Sensors
- Plastic Submersible 4-20mA Liquid Level Sensors
- Water Resistant Pressure Sensors with Strain Gauge Output
Product Type Comparison Table
Please use the table below to compare the advantages and disadvantages of each liquid level sensor technology type versus application and specification parameters.
|surface disturbance sensitive||no||no||yes||no|
|pressurised vessel||yes||more difficult||yes||yes|
|vacuum evacuated vessel||yes||more difficult||no||yes|
|installation position||top||side, bottom||top||top|
|thick fluids||no||yes with flush diaphragm||yes||yes|
|protrusion into tank||yes||no||no||no|
|sg density variation sensitive||yes||yes||no||no|
|fouling degrades performance||yes||yes||no||no|
Related Help Pages
Browse other help pages associated with the same topic group as this Liquid Level Sensor page.