Measurement and point detection devices for monitoring liquid level and activating switch contacts at predetermined liquid level thresholds.
A liquid level switch is an instrument for monitoring the height of a liquid and tripping a relay contact switch or transmitting a solid state relay switch output when a maximum, minimum or intermediate level has been reached. The liquid level switch output can then be utilised by other instrumentation to open a valve, illuminate an warning lamp, activate an audible alarm, or switch on/off a pump.
There are two basic types of liquid level switches, those that detect the presence of liquid known as point level detection, and those that are continuously monitoring the variation in level to detect when a threshold has been reached.
Point level switches have to be mounted so that the sensing probe makes contact with the fluid. They are simpler to set-up and calibrate, since the installation position dictates the switch point, however this also limits where the point level sensor can be installed.
There are many applications on a liquid storage tank where a switch provides a lower cost and simpler installation for managing tank contents because there is no need for additional signal conditioning instrumentation, and some switch types are mechanically activated and require no electrical supply or electronic circuits to function.
- Capacitive Liquid Level Switches - Capacitive switches for opening or closing electrical contacts at a preset liquid level thresholds.
- Conductivity Liquid Level Switches - Conductive devices for monitoring liquid level and opening and closing switch contacts at predetermined liquid level thresholds.
- Ultrasonic Liquid Level Switches - Ultrasonic devices for monitoring liquid level and activating the opening and closing of switch contacts at predetermined liquid level thresholds.
- Vibrating Tuning Fork Liquid Level Switches - Vibrating tuning fork devices for monitoring liquid level and activating switch contacts at predetermined liquid level thresholds.
- Hydrostatic Liquid Level Switches - Hydrostatic pressure sensing switches for activating switch contacts at predetermined liquid level thresholds.
- Float Liquid Level Switches - Float actuated devices for monitoring liquid level and activating switch contacts at predetermined liquid level thresholds.
Product Type Comparison Table
Please use the table below to compare the advantages and disadvantages of each liquid level switch technology type versus application and specification parameters.
|pressurised vessel||yes, low pressures||yes||yes||more difficult||yes||yes|
|vacuum evacuated vessel||yes||yes||yes||more difficult||yes||no|
|installation position||top, side, bottom||top, side, bottom||top||side, bottom||top, side, bottom||top, side|
|thick fluids||no||no||no||yes with flush diaphragm||no||yes|
|protrusion into tank||yes||yes||yes||no||yes||no|
|sg density variation sensitive||no||no||yes||yes||yes||no|
|fouling degrades performance||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no|
|multiple point level detection||vertical entry yes, side entry no||vertical entry yes, side entry no||yes||yes||vertical entry yes, side entry no||top entry yes, side entry no|
|power supply required||no||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
Related Help Pages
Browse other help pages associated with the same topic group as this Liquid Level Switches page.