This guide will help you choose a digital pressure sensor for your application and explain the benefits of using a digital interface to transmit pressure readings.
There are many types of digital signal such as RS485, RS232, Modbus RTU, USB, SDI-12, I²C & IO-Link, but they all fundamentally transfer pressure readings without any loss of accuracy, and are the preferred type of pressure sensor for measuring pressures in calibration & test laboratories.
Select a type of digital pressure sensor from the list below to view product choices and download product information or request a price quotation.
- RS232 Serial Interface Pressure Sensors - RS232 compatible pressure transducers for linking to PC computer serial ports.
- RS485 Serial Interface Pressure Sensors - RS485 output pressure sensors for incorporating into digital sensor networks. These sensors can be allocated a unique device address and connected in series to other sensors with RS-485 serial interfaces on the same communications link.
- Pressure Sensors for Data Logging with a Computer - Digital pressure sensors for connecting to a desktop or laptop computer and logging air and liquid pressures at preset intervals.
- USB Pressure Sensors - Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface computer connection pressure sensing devices
- Vacuum Digital Interface Pressure Sensors - Vacuum range digital interface pressure sensors for connecting to computer serial bus or other intelligent interface.
- Digital Interface DP Sensors - Differential pressure sensors with digital interfaces for RS485, RS232 or USB communications with a computer.
- High Accuracy Digital Interface Pressure Sensors - Digital output pressure sensors with high accuracy measurement via RS485, USB and RS232 interfaces at room temperature and over the operating temperature range.
- High Range Digital Interface Pressure Sensors - Hydraulic range pressure sensors with USB, RS232 or RS485 interface electronics. Improve high pressure measurement accuracy with a high resolution computer interface.
- Low Range Digital Interface Pressure Sensors - Low range pressure measurement sensing devices. Analog & digital output pressure sensors for measuring low range pressures.
- Digital Interface Air Pressure Sensors - Digital pressure sensors for air measurements in research and test applications where high resolution & accuracy is required.
- Modbus Communications Protocol Pressure Sensors - Pressure sensors with Modbus communications protocol for connecting to a serial bus or a digital sensor network.
- High Range USB Pressure Sensors - High range pressure measurement Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface computer connection pressure sensing devices
- Low Range USB Pressure Sensors - Low range pressure measurement Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface computer connection pressure sensing devices.
- High Speed USB Pressure Sensors - High speed measurement reading response, Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface computer connection pressure sensing devices.
Select a digital pressure sensor for your application
Find a pressure sensor with a digital interface for connecting to a digital device or computer.
If you would like us to select a pressure transmitter for you, then please use this form to specify your requirements.
Advantages of using digital pressure sensors
For the highest possible pressure sensor accuracy you will need an output signal which is not easily corrupted and has a very high resolution.
Reduce Signal Losses & Interference
Digital output signals do not suffer from signal losses or interference like analogue ones do, either the complete signal gets through as originally transmitted from the pressure sensor or none at all.
In order to achieve a high resolution on the output signal a relatively powerful analogue to digital converter is needed of at least 16 bit resolution to achieve precision levels better than 0.01% full scale.
Reduce Analogue to Digital Conversion Errors
Also there is no need to convert a digital signal to analogue at any stage between the pressure sensor and the display or logging instrumentation since it can be easily interfaced to a computer or data acquisition card via a digital connection.
Digital Error Compensation
Another benefit of digital output signals is that the microprocessor inside the digital pressure sensor can also be used to digitally characterise the pressure sensor over many pressure and temperature points virtually eliminating all linearity errors.
Exploit Repeatable & Stable Sensor Technology
However the ultimate accuracy of a digital pressure sensor is always going to be limited by the hysteresis and repeatability of the sensor technology utilised. Hysteresis and repeatability factors are very unpredictable and cannot be characterised easily.
So a digital output has the potential to provide the most accurate signal for a particular type of pressure sensor but it has to be used in conjunction with stable sensing technology which has naturally low hysteresis and repeatability characteristics for it to be truly accurate over its operational life.
Direct Computer Interfacing & Software Monitoring
RS485 is the most used interface for general applications and manufacturers will often supply desktop software for communicating with the digital pressure sensor via RS232 or USB converter boxes.
- Pressure Sensor Accuracy Specifications
- Pressure Transducers
- Differential Pressure Sensors
- How to create a list of specification parameters for a pressure sensor
- Data Loggers
- Digital Interface