Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface computer connection pressure sensing devices.
- 33X High Accuracy Digital Output Pressure Sensor - High precision pressure transducer with an accuracy of 0.05% full scale with a RS485, USB or RS232 digital interface for connecting to a PC.
- LEO3 Current or Digital Output Pressure Gauge - LCD digital pressure gauge powered externally by a 2 wire series 4-20mA current loop or a digital interface.
- UPS-HSR USB Pressure Sensor with High Sample Rate Logging - USB ready digital pressure sensor for recording pressures with a high speed sample rate of up to 1 kHz to a computer.
- 35X HTC High Temperature Digital Pressure Sensor (< 300 degC) - The 35X HTC high temperature digital pressure sensor is suited for media temperatures up to 300 °C
- 35X Flush Diaphragm Digital Output Pressure Sensor - Highly accurate digitally compensated pressure transducer with G1/2 male flush pressure port.
- 41X Low Range Digital Output Pressure Sensor - Low pressure sensor with a USB, RS232 or RS485 digital output interface for measuring low range gauge or differential pressures from 10 to 300 mbar.
- PD33X Digital Differential Pressure Sensor - High precision differential pressure transducer with accuracy of 0.1% full scale. Available with RS485, USB or RS232 for connecting to a computer.
The Universal Serial Bus (USB) interface is a popular digital interface for quick and easy connection of measurement devices to desktop & laptop computers and other digital measurement instrumentation.
A USB connection provides a global standard for the physical electrical connection, communication and powering of digital sensors and measurement instruments. A single cable is used for sending all the read & write commands, and providing a low dc supply voltage.
USB is a popular method for connecting measurement devices together in a research laboratory environment on experimental test rigs, where all test equipment is close by on the same test bench or rig.
The majority of USB measurement devices come with application software which can be installed on a laptop or desktop computer. USB provides the user with a plug & play set-up that can be up and running very quickly without the need for wiring, separate power supplies or signal conditioning instrumentation.
Pressure sensors are measurement devices for detecting variations in pressure of liquids or gases. Typically a pressure sensor is made of two subcomponents, an electromechanical assembly on the frontend, and a signal conditioning module on the backend.
The frontend of the pressure sensor is connected directly via a thread or clamped seal to a pipe or vessel containing the liquid or gas to be measured. The pressure generated by the liquid or gas will apply a force to a sensitive exposed surface area within the electromechanical assembly which produces a physical change to the material, such as a deformation. This physical change is translated into an electrical change by smaller elements incorporated into the sensitive part of the assembly, typically on the reverse side of the surface in contact with the liquid or gas.
Since there are many different types of electromechanical technology used to measure pressure, producing very different electrical characteristics, it is necessary to add on a signal conditioning module to rationalise the electrical signal and convert it to one which is a commonly used standard within a particular industry or application.
Reasons for using a USB pressure sensor.
- Built-in sensor power supply via USB port
- Easy setup and installation
- Reading & logging software provided
- Multiple sensors can be connected to one USB port
- Change pressure measurement units
- Set alarms at threshold pressure points
- Dampen dynamic pressure readings using time period selected averaging
- Only log at predetermined times or events using start/stop triggers
- Generate test certificates
- Export stored measurement data to other programs
Limitations of using a USB pressure sensor.
- Short length of cable due to limitations of USB standard
- Standard configurations without customisation options for different applications
- Computer only connection
- Works only with provided proprietary software
- Higher cost than analogue type output pressure sensors