The S12S is a submersible probe used for monitoring water level and temperature with a 1200 baud rate serial data interface as defined by the SDI-12 support group.
- Hydrostatic Level Ranges: 2 ftWG up to 0-300 ftWG gauge, 0-30 psi up to 0-150 psi absolute
- Level Accuracy: 0.06% full scale BSL linearity
- Temperature Measurement Range: -20 to +60 degC
- Temperature Measurement Error: 0.5 degC (0.01 degC resolution)
- Output Signal: SDI-12 serial data interface
- Electrical Connection: IP68 submersible sealed cable with a PUR, PVC or FEP outer coating.
- Pressure Connection: G1/4 male with protective nose cap
- Media Compatibility: SS 316L sensor body and diaphragm with Viton O ring seal and PUR, PVC or FEP coated cable
- Diameter: 25 mm (1 inch)
- Special Features: Shallow water depth, SDI12 protocol, low power consumption, process connection
- Special Options: Computer logging software and USB converter
This SDI12 digital water level sensor is made mostly from stainless steel 316L for long lasting protection against corrosion whilst permanently immersed in freshwater.
The SDI-12 digital interface is specially designed for low power, battery operated instrumentation such as on-site environmental dataloggers.
Measure the rise and fall of water levels in ranges from 0 to 2 feet up to 0 to 300 feet of water column.
A silicon chip sensing element is utilised to measure the water depth inside a oil filled capsule with isolation membrane. Due to the excellent stability and repeatability errors possible with semiconductor strain gauge sensing elements it is possible to digitally linearise the water level reading to an accuracy within 0.06% of full scale.
A temperature sensor is located inside the S12S to monitor the changes in water temperature and can read from -20 degC non-freezing up to +60 degC.
The S12S serial interface water depth sensor is suitable for measuring ground, reservoir, river, weir and stream water tank level.
Highway runoff pipe water level
Measure level of highway runoff water flowing through a V notch weir and send to data logger or remote telemetry unit (RTU) to calculate the water flow.
- SKU ID: s1-s12s-0001
- Pressure Range: 3
- Units: ftH2O
- Range Type: Gauge / Vented (0 to +P)
- Output Signal: SDI12 communications protocol interface
- Housing & Diaphragm Material: Stainless steel 316L
- Media Exposed Seals: Viton
- Cable Type: PUR
- Cable Length: 40
- Cable Length Units: Feet (ft)
- Process Connection: G1/4 male DIN3852 with removable nose cone
Reading update rate
What is the quickest update rate for the S12S via the SDI-12 serial interface?
If you turn off the averaging and sampling of the SDI-12 transmitted measurements and read directly through the serial port, then it will have an update rate of around 0.5 second update rate.
Operation when partially submerged
Does the whole sensor have to be submerged to get an accurate reading, or can it be just partially submerged? Also, how much would the sensor be?
There is no need to fully submerge the sensor, it will operate as long as there is water pressure on the front end where the pressure sensing diaphragm is located.
What is the resolution of the readings from the S12S SDI-12 protocol digital submersible pressure sensor?
The analogue to digital converter used in the S12S has a 13-14 bit (8192-16384 counts) resolution, but the actual reading resolution will be dependent on the amount of digital filtering that you apply to the output to cancel out unwanted fluctuations in pressure.
Specification data sheet
Request Product Price
Please select the options you require for the S12S SDI-12 Coms IP68 Pressure and Temperature Sensor in your application and request a quote.