Newtons/Square Meter is a unit that shows how the pascal unit is derived from other SI units. Pressure is defined as Force/Area and the SI unit for Force is newtons (N) and the SI unit for Area is Sq Meters (m²). 1 newton per square metre equals 1 pascal.
The N/m² pressure unit is one of the few units that clearly describes what pressure represents in its name symbol. Although it is not generally used to describe a pressure reading, it can be useful for calculating the force required to generate a certain pressure.
For example if you know the cross sectional area of the inside of a hydraulic ram cylinder (sqm), you can then calculate the required force (N) to generate a particular pressure in pascals (Pa) by multiplying the two together.
Alternatively you can calculate the hydraulic ram area size (m²) needed by dividing the available Force (N) by the Pressure (Pa) or determine the pressure (N/m²) produced by the hydraulic system by dividing the Force (N) by the Hydraulic ram area (m²).
You can convert a reading in newtons per sq metres into another pressure unit by multiplying it by the relevant converting value listed below.
If you would like to use a tool to convert several values please use our pressure unit converter to save time.
- 20 Pa DP range 0-10V output air pressure sensor for building management use
- 500 to 1100 hPa absolute USB interface pressure sensor
- 1 hPa Positive Room Pressure Sensor, Switch & Display
- 15,000 Pa DP Transmitter with built-in digital display
- 0.00001 bar
- 0.0001450377 psi
- 0.01 mbar
- 1 N/m²
- 1 Pa
- 0.01 hPa
- 0.001 kPa
- 0.000001 MPa
- 0.0000101972 kg/cm²
- 0.101972 mmH2O 4°C (39.2°F)
- 0.0101972 cmH2O 4°C (39.2°F)
- 0.000101972 mH2O 4°C (39.2°F)
- 0.00401463 inH2O 4°C (39.2°F)
- 0.000334553 ftH2O 4°C (39.2°F)
- 0.00750062 mmHg 0°C (32°F)
- 0.000750062 cmHg 0°C (32°F)
- 0.000295300 inHg 0°C (32°F)
- 0.00750062 Torr
- 7.50062 mTorr
- 0.00000986923 atm
- 0.0000101972 at
- 10 dyn/cm²
- 0.00232060 oz/in²
- 7.50062 µHg 0°C (32°F)
- 0.0000000647490 tsi (uk, long)
- 0.0000000725189 tsi (usa, short)
- 0.0000104427 tsf (usa, short)
- 0.0208854 psf
- 0.0101972 g/cm²
Please note that the conversion factors above are accurate to 6 significant figures.
Select a look up table for converting a pressure reading in newtons per square metre to other measurement units.
- 10Pa diff range 0-20mA output air pressure sensor for automotive component testing
- 0 to 9 pascals range pressure gauge
- Pitot tube air flow calculation 1000 hPa differential pressure transmitter
- Low range ATEX approved 100 Pascal range DP transmitter
Measurement Unit Related Terms
More pages related to measurement unit technical terms.