There is a loose convention across manufacturers for designating the type of reference that a pressure sensing device has, which can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with specifying this often overlooked but critical specification parameter.
To help identify the reference of a particular pressure range found on a product label or technical data sheet a list of abbreviated suffixes is provided below.
Vented Gauge Reference Pressure Range
Measuring pressure with reference to atmospheric pressure, also referred to as Relative and Vented Gauge:
- +/- 30 inches of water compound range pressure transmitter
- 50 psi g freshwater pressure transducer with 10 Vdc output signal
- Recordable indicator and sensor up to 30000 psi for pressure test rig
- KL1 Cable Junction Box for Submersible Level Transmitters
Request info on vented gauge reference related products for your application.
Sealed Gauge Reference Pressure Range
Not vented to atmospheric pressure, but instead the reference is fixed to 1 bar.
- 15000 psi combined pressure gauge and logger with USB interface
- 700 bar pressure gauge with fast update rate peak memory
- 5000 psi hydraulic pressure transmitter with M12 electrical connector
- Event triggered high sampling rate pressure logger
Request info on sealed gauge reference related products for your application.
Absolute Reference Pressure Range
Referenced to absolute zero pressure or a perfect vacuum
- 35X Flush Diaphragm Digital Output Pressure Sensor
- Outside HVAC 900-1100 mbar abs baro range 4-20mA signal pressure sensor
- Barometric transducer with 23-34 inHg input range and 0-5Vdc output range
- Vacuum insulation 15 psi absolute range millivolt output pressure sensor for air extraction use
Request info on absolute reference related products for your application.
Differential Pressure Range
The difference in pressure at point B compared to the pressure at point A.
- Minus 0.25 inWG differential pressure transmitter for negative air pressure difference
- 1.5 inWG differential pressure transducer to control positive pressure inside a building
- Liquid compatible transmitter with 15 psi DP range and protected on either side to 300 psi
- Single differential versus twin absolute pressure sensor for measuring dp
Request info on differential pressure related products for your application.
On product marking labels or any document that includes a description of the pressure range, the reference type is included after the pressure unit type e.g. 15 psi abs or 15 psia.