How can you use a differential pressure measurement device to measure a negative pressure if it has been factory configured to measure a positive pressure range without making any adjustments to the electronics or the signal output?
Finding a pressure sensor to read negative pressure can be difficult since the vast majority of pressure measurement devices are only available with positive ranges as standard, since most applications require a positive pressure range, and therefore manufacturers understandably focus on the most popular pressure ranges for their product range.
Although manufacturers will often consider a custom configuration for measuring negative pressure, this could cause a delay to delivery and an extra cost compared to the standard pressure range configuration.
- 1 inH2O differential intrinsically safe 4-20mA out air pressure sensor for HVAC use
- Minus 100 pascal suction pressure transmitter
- Clean room temp, RH and pressure monitoring
- 30,000 microbar differential air pressure gauge for positive and negative pressure
There is a much simpler and convenient solution to measuring negative pressures. A differential pressure measurement device has two separate pressure connections so that the difference in pressure between the two connections can be measured. One connection will be marked as High (Hi) or Positive (+), and the other as Low (Lo) or Negative (-).
Typically when measuring positive pressures, the Low side connection would be open to ambient air pressure, and the High side connection would be connected to the positive pressure to be measured.
If you want to measure negative or suction pressure instead, you can reverse the connection, so that the High side connection is open to ambient air pressure, and the Low side connection is connected to the vacuum pressure. As the vacuum increases, the greater will be the difference in pressure between the Low and High side.
As an example, a 0 to +100 mbar differential pressure range will become a 0 to -100 mbar differential pressure range simply by reversing the connections.
- Using 25 mbar DP sensor on vacuum below 0.2 bar absolute
- 5 psi delta air pressure sensor with 0 to 10 volt output
- 20 Pa DP range 0-10V output air pressure sensor for building management use
- 50 psi wet/wet 0-10 volt output differential pressure transducer
- -200 to 200 Pa bi-directional range 4-20mA output dp pressure transmitter for venturi tube
- Negative room pressure monitor and logger for multiple zones
- 0.1 inH2O differential range 0-10Vdc output between rooms air pressure sensor
- Single differential versus twin absolute pressure sensor for measuring dp