How the Doppler effect acoustic frequency shift principle is used in flow measurement instrumentation.
The frequency and wavelength of an acoustic wave remains constant if the source and receiver are fixed relatively to each other, and the medium in which the wave propagates has not changed.
If the acoustic source is moving away from the receiver, then the wavelength will become stretched and the frequency lowered relative to the receiver.
Conversely, if the acoustic source is moving towards the receiver, then the wavelength will become compressed and the frequency raised relative to the receiver.
In the case of measuring flow, the doppler effect is applied by bouncing acoustic waves off particles and bubbles in the flowing fluid. Although the acoustic source is static relative to the receiver, it will become a moving one when it bounces off a moving particle or bubble.
A doppler flowmeter can be used to measure liquids such as waste water and other liquids which contain solid particles or gas bubbles.
- 5 psi dp 0-10V out air pressure sensor for automation flow rate testing use on a 15psi line
- 2ft range SDI-12 interface submersible shallow depth streamflow level sensor
- Vacuum testing controller and datalogger for pressure/flow measurement and regulating vacuum
- Pitot tube air flow calculation 1000 hPa differential pressure transmitter
Sensor Technology Related Terms
More pages related to sensor technology technical terms.
- BFSG – Bonded Foil Strain Gauge
- Bourdon Tube
- Capacitive Fluid Level Measurement
- Ceramic Pressure Sensors
- Conductive Fluid Level Detection
- Float Fluid Level Detection
- LVDT – Linear Variable Differential Transformer
- Paddle Wheel Sensor
- Piezoresistive Strain Gauges
- Positive Displacement Flow Measurement
- Radar Distance Sensing
- SOI – Silicon on Insulator
- Strain Gauge
- Thin Film
- Transit Time Flow Measurement
- Turbine Rotor Sensor
- Ultrasonic Distance Sensing
- Ultrasonic Flow Velocity Sensors
- Vibrating Tuning Fork Fluid Level Detection
- Vortex Flow Measurement
- Wheatstone Bridge Strain Gauge