Click save settings to reload page with unique web page address for bookmarking and sharing the current tool settings
Change the answer mode for this tool by selecting start temperature (T0), end temperature (T1), coefficient of linear thermal expansion (αL), start length (L0) or end length (L1) as the parameter to calculate instead
- 32…122°F Temperature Range Sensor with 4-20mA Current Output Signal Transmitter
- TS100 Compact Temperature Transmitter and PT100 Probe
- Aquaculture submersible freshwater level & temperature transmitter
- STT-26 Submersible Temperature Probe and Transmitter
Request info on temperature sensor products for your application.
- Area thermal expansion calculations
- Volumetric thermal expansion calculations
- Isotropic length, area & volume thermal expansion calculations
- Length units conversion
- Temperature units conversion
- Temperature difference units conversion
- Thermal coefficient units conversion
This tool will calculate any parameter from the formula for linear thermal expansion, which includes the start temperature, end temperature, coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE), start length and end length.
The linear thermal expansion formula is used to calculate the change in length of an object, due to a change in temperature. It has been widely proven and accepted by the scientific and engineering community that in many cases the change in length to overall length ratio is directly proportional to the change in temperature of the object. However, it is only an approximation, and will only produce a precise value if the change in length is small compared to the overall length of an object, and the thermal coefficient of expansion of the material does not change by much, within the range of temperature change.
The formulas used by this linear thermal expansion calculator to determine each individual parameter are:
T0 = T1 – (L1 / L0 – 1) / αL
T1 = T0 + (L1 / L0 – 1) / αL
αL = (L1 / L0 – 1) / (T1 – T0)
L0 = L1 / (1 + αL · (T1 – T0))
L1 = L0 · (1 + αL · (T1 – T0))
- T0 = Start temperature
- T1 = End temperature
- αL = Coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE)
- L0 = Start length
- L1 = End length
Start Temperature (T0)
This is the temperature of the object before the temperature is increased.
End Temperature (T1)
This is the temperature of the object after the temperature has been increased
Coefficient Of Linear Thermal Expansion (CLTE, αL)
This is a fixed value which is used to determine how much a small change in temperature will affect the length of a particular substance. The coefficient defines the fractional change in length of a substance per unit change in its temperature.
Start Length (L0)
This is the length of the object when it is at the start temperature T0 .
End Length (L1)
This is the length of the object following thermal expansion caused by an increase in temperature from T0 to T1 .
- Submersible 3mWG range 4-20mA output liquid level and PT1000 temperature sensor
- ProSens Environmental Monitor and Controller
- 32…212°F Temperature Range Sensor with 4-20mA Current Output Signal Transmitter
- Water depth and temperature transmitter for 700 foot deep borehole
Request info on temperature measurement products for your application.