Click to reload page with unique web address for bookmarking or sharing current settings
- Area to length or width Calculator
- Convert an area to different units
- LxW and amount per unit area to total amount
- Area and amount per unit area to total amount
- Amount per unit of area converter
- Circle diameter to area calculator
- Length and distance converter
- Calculate volume capacity from length, width and height
This tool will calculate the area of a rectangle from the dimensions of length and width. No conversion needed, since length, width and area units can be selected independently, so this calculator also functions as a unit converter.
Once the measurements for length and width have been entered, and the units for each along with the required area units, the calculated area value will be shown in the answer box highlighted in red. Also a graphic of the Area shape and dimensions will be drawn which will refresh each time the entered inputs are changed.
The formula used by this calculator to calculate the area of a rectangular shape is:
A = L · W
- A= Area
- L = Length
- W = Width
Area Dimensions – Length & Width
Enter the measurements for length and width for the rectangular shape you are calculating, and select the appropriate units for each measurement value entered.
The following conversion factors in metres (m) are used for converting length and width into different units:
- nanometre (nm) – 0.000000001 m
- micrometre (µm) – 0.000001 m
- millimetre (mm) – 0.001 m
- centimetre (cm) – 0.01 m
- inch (in) – 0.0254 m
- foot (ft) – 0.3048 m
- yard (yd) – 0.9144 m
- metre (m) – 1 m
- kilometre (km) – 1,000 m
- mile (mi) – 1,609.344 m
- nautical mile (nmi) – 1,852 m
This is the calculated area of the rectangle, which this tool determines by multiplying together the length and width measurements. Select the required area measurement units to display the result.
The following conversion factors in square metres (m²) are used to convert the calculated area into different units:
- square nanometre (sq nm) – 1 x 10-18 m²
- square micrometre (sq µm) – 1 x 10-12 m²
- square millimetre (sq mm) – 0.000001 m²
- square centimetre (sq cm) – 0.0001 m²
- square inch (sq in) – 0.0004516 m²
- square foot (sq ft) – 0.09290304 m²
- square yard (sq yd) – 0.83612736 m²
- square metre (sq m) – 1 m²
- acre (ac) – 4046.8564224 m²
- hectare (ha) – 10000 m²
- square kilometre (sq km) – 1,000,000 m²
- square mile (sq mi) – 2589988.110336 m²
- square nautical mile (sq nmi) – 3429904 m²
Use this length x breadth calculator to determine the area in the following applications:
- Roof and exposed roof tile area to estimate the number of roof tiles or the amount of roofing felt required to cover the whole roof.
- Seating area to determine the approximate crowd capacity.
- Car park and parking space area to determine the maximum number of cars spaces
- Warehouse storage floor area capacity.
- Freezer or chiller room floor area capacity.
- Floor area from room dimensions in mixed measurement units
- Feed, weed, seed or fertilizer area coverage for a field or garden from distance between corners
- Paint, wallpaper or tile area coverage from wall, ceiling or floor, width & height dimensions
- Number of items produced from a length & width of textile, cloth or fabric.
- Plot of land area or the footprint of a building.
- Amount of required insulation to cover a loft space.
- How much laminate flooring is needed to fill a floor space.
- Area of a path, decking or patio to help estimate how long it will take to pressure wash.
- Number of building plots of a length and width are possible on an area of land in hectares or acres.
- Floor, wall or ceiling area of a reception room, lounge, kitchen, living room, dining room, hallway, staircase, bedroom, bathroom, toilet, study, tv room, garage cellar or a basement storage room.
- How much space furniture will take up in a room.
- Room areas from the dimensions on a house plan.
- Patio border area to cover with gravel.
- Floorspace sq area of a workshop.
- Horse paddock area.
- Driveway surface area to decide quantity of building materials required
- Garden, patio or courtyard landscaping project area to calculate the number of paving slabs required
- Counter tops, shelves & display cabinets area to calculate working area, leftover space or number of stock items that can be displayed.
- Fencing required to fill a boundary of a specified length and height.