Preconfigured Unit Selections
Save time when carrying out frequent calculations using the same selected units for length & width, with the following preconfigured versions of this tool:
- centimetres (cm) × centimetres (cm) to sq centimetres (cm²)
- feet (ft) × feet (ft) to sq feet (ft²)
- feet (ft) × feet (ft) to sq metres (m²)
- metres (m) × metres (m) to sq feet (ft²)
- metres (m) × metres (m) to sq metres (m²)
- millimetres (mm) × millimetres (mm) to sq inches (in²)
Use this length x breadth calculator to determine the area in the following applications:
- Floor area from room dimensions in mixed measurement units
- Feed, weed, seed or fertilizer area coverage for a field or garden from distance between corners
- Paint, wallpaper or tile area coverage from wall, ceiling or floor, width & height dimensions
- Number of items produced from a length & width of textile, cloth or fabric.
- Plot of land area or the footprint of a building.
- Amount of required insulation to cover a loft space.
- How much laminate flooring is needed to fill a floor space.
- Area of a path, decking or patio to help estimate how long it will take to pressure wash.
- Number of building plots of a length and width are possible on an area of land in hectares or acres.
- Area of surfaces in a kitchen, living room, dining room, hall, bedroom, bathroom, toilet or basement.
- How much space furniture will take up in a room.
- Room areas from the dimensions on a house plan.
- Patio border area to cover with gravel.
- Floorspace sq area of a workshop.
- Horse paddock area.
- Driveway surface area to decide quantity of building materials required
- Convert an area to different units
- Length and distance converter
- Volume measurement units conversion
- Calculate volume capacity from length, width and height
This tool will calculate the area of a rectangle from the dimensions of length and width. No conversion needed, since length, width and area units can be selected independently, so this calculator also functions as a unit converter.
Once the measurements have been entered for length and width, the calculated area will be shown in the answer box. Also a graphic of the Area shape and dimensions will be drawn which will refresh each time the entered inputs are changed.
The formula used by this calculator to calculate the area of a rectangular shape is:
A = L x W
- A= Area
- L = Length
- W = Width
Area Dimensions – Length & Width
Enter the measurements of length and width for the rectangle that you be calculating area.
The following conversion factors in metres (m) are used for converting length and width into different units:
- nanometre (nm) – 0.000000001 m
- micrometre (µm) – 0.000001 m
- millimetre (mm) – 0.001 m
- centimetre (cm) – 0.01 m
- inch (in) – 0.0254 m
- foot (ft) – 0.3048 m
- yard (yd) – 0.9144 m
- metre (m) – 1 m
- kilometre (km) – 1,000 m
- mile (mi) – 1,609.344 m
- nautical mile (nmi) – 1,852 m
This is the calculated area of the rectangle which this tool determines by multiplying together the length and width measurements.
The following conversion factors in square metres (m²) are used to convert the calculated area into different units:
- square nanometre (sq nm) – 1 x 10-18 m²
- square micrometre (sq µm) – 1 x 10-12 m²
- square millimetre (sq mm) – 0.000001 m²
- square centimetre (sq cm) – 0.0001 m²
- square inch (sq in) – 0.0004516 m²
- square foot (sq ft) – 0.09290304 m²
- square yard (sq yd) – 0.83612736 m²
- square metre (sq m) – 1 m²
- acre (ac) – 4046.8564224 m²
- hectare (ha) – 10000 m²
- square kilometre (sq km) – 1,000,000 m²
- square mile (sq mi) – 2589988.110336 m²
- square nautical mile (sq nmi) – 3429904 m²