What submersible pressure sensor should I purchase for measuring a hydrostatic pressure of fresh water up to 1 metre? The sensor will be installed outside so I will need some protection from damage caused by lightning. There is no restriction on the size of the sensor but I will need about 5 metres of cable from the top of the tank to run to the instrumentation junction box. The instrumentation I will be using will accept a 4-20mA current input. The sensor does not need to be super accurate, an accuracy of 0.5% full scale will suffice.
We would suggest the IMSL which is an all stainless steel 316L submersible pressure sensor suitable for use in fresh water. Although it is impossible to completely protect a sensitive electronic device from lightning strikes, the sensor is fitted with electronic components which are designed to filter out high level voltages surges generated by lightning strikes to nearby instrumentation.
- Pressure Sensor Type: Submersible / Depth / Level
- Highest Pressure Reading: 1
- Lowest Pressure Reading: 0
- Pressure Units: mH2O
- Pressure Range Types: Gauge
- Output Signals: 4-20mA
- Accuracy: 0.1%
- Electrical Interfaces IP68 sealed cable / Permanent submersion with 6 metres of cable
- Process Connector: G1/4 (1/4 BSP P) male, Protective nose cone
- Media Compatibility: SS 316L, PUR, Viton / FKM
- Highest Media Temperature: 60 degC (140 degF)
- Lowest Media Temperature: -20 degC (-58 degF)
- Special Features: Submersible, Lightning protected